My thoughts about... The King: Eternal Monarch

by - Sunday, December 13, 2020

 


Y
ou know that feeling of emptiness when you finish a good kdrama? I was of course expecting it when I finished The King, but this time I felt lost for quite a while because this drama was so perfect in so many ways. In the middle of the pandemic, this drama gave me a reason to be excited about every week. Because it gave me not only the visuals of Lee Min Ho and Woo Do Hwan but also an intelligent story with mind-blowing twists.  

LIST OF THOUGHTS
(Beware some Spoilers)

  • We saw it in Goblin and now we also have it in The King: a great bromance. Jo Yeong and Lee Gon are the definition of #FriendshipGoals. From the moment they meet as kids to the end where we see Jo Yeong protecting the king in both his adult and young forms. I couldn't help but fangirling every time I saw this pair on scene for the chemistry they had in every episode.
  • And speaking of Jo Yeong, let's talk about the boy that stole our hearts and made us swoon, Woo Do Hwan. This handsome man deserves so many awards because he is an incredible actor. He made Jo Eun Seob and Jo Yeong so unique and different and then he takes it to the next level when he plays one of them pretending to be the other. Some of the best scenes are when we have this pair interacting with each other. There is one episode where we barely see him and let me tell you, I really felt his absence.
  • Woo Do Hwan and Lee Min Ho in uniforms. I didn't know I needed in my life the image of Lee Min Ho washing rice in a uniform until I saw it.
  • That epic action sequence of Jo Yeong and Lee Gon. They look so cool, and this comes from a person that usually gets bored with action scenes (seriously, I've slept in a lot of action movies) but this one had me at the edge of my seat and made me feel totally impressed. It was shot like in a video game and has a perfect choreography of the actors and the cameramen that made me so excited. 
  • The best hugs scenes everrrrrr. The scene where Lee Gon saves Tae-Eul in the middle of the street is just glorious. And not just that, but that kiss on the neck? probably one of the sexiest kisses I've seen in a kdrama.
  • The writer is a genius. There are so many little details that later on we understand and see how everything connects. As a viewer, I got the satisfaction of seeing things coming together. Some of them I did guess correctly like that the guy saving young Lee Gon was his older self (thanks to City Hunter I can now recognize Lee Min-Ho anywhere) while others totally made my mind explode: pretty much everything in episode 14.
If I had to describe this drama in one world it would be EPIC. Epic story, epic scenes, epic encounters and epic acting, this drama has it all. 



 

You May Also Like

0 comentarios