How Heartland has stayed over the years

by - Saturday, July 31, 2021

Heartland was one of those shows I started watching as a teenager. But when the channel that broadcasted it in my country disappeared so all the good shows I watched there did too. 
 
I actually didn't know there were more seasons until I found Heartland years later on Netflix. The adventure paid off more than I could have expected, because watching it now, with more experiences of my own, made it more meaningful. Despite the number of seasons I actually watched them effortlessly because watching the show after all these years felt kinda like meeting again with old friends, it felt comforting. The fact that this series has stayed on air for fourteen years is more than impressive so here I am with my list of the whys and the hows.

LIST OF THOUGHTS

  • The beautiful views of High River, Alberta are perfect to make you feel calmer (which teenager me perhaps didn't appreciate as much as adult stressed me). The place is a character on its own and I'm not gonna lie, I'd love to take a tour of the locations one day if there's ever a chance to experience them myself because they are breathtaking.
  • Of course, the horses! I love the way the series centers on the love for horses, the support, and the connection they form with humans. With all the characters we get to see so many areas in the big equestrian world (something that made this city girl feel like getting a glimpse into a different life).
  • Through the stories of horses, we also get to see the stories of the humans. Amy, the protagonist is a "horse whisper", someone with a special gift to understand and help troubled horses and, most of the time, their problems are linked to the humans behind them. Because of that we see themes like grief, trauma, addiction... and the process of healing and growing. Life is hard for both horses and humans and they need second chances to get back on track ;). I realized it's show that started talking about mental health way before it became an open discussion and that it has done it so well.
  • Each of the protagonists has flaws we can identify from the very first episode and that are what often puts them in trouble. This is part of what keeps the plot going for the show for so many seasons.
  • We see the main characters growing up and as a result of that, we witness when they reach important events in their lives as time passes. Good moments like graduations, weddings, births, but also their struggles through divorce and grief. There are things the audience can feel related to.
  • Now the show is not perfect. There's a lot of characters that get forgotten and while I understand how it must be very difficult because of actors' schedules there are some that I find unforgiven. I mean, I had my hopes up that Lou was gonna end with Native Canadian Scott like in the books so I was crushed that the writers decided to go with "a different direction" because then we see Lou having terrible relationship after terrible relationship. Also, where's Tim Fleming's son? How can you forget about a son for ten seasons? I'll give the show credit though because it has managed some really good comebacks of old characters so we can get to see their clousure like Mallory.
  • Definitely, one of the big keys of the show to stay for so many years is its faithful audience. Is kind of like Little House on the Prairie, it comes from books, is a show about family for families and generations have grown watching it. How long will this show keep going? I don't have a clue, but I do know that there are so many people that like me, love the show and will keep watching as long as is still there.



You May Also Like

0 comentarios